Transform Schools to Green Campus
Collaborating with the Climate Reality Project, we have undertaken an initiative to transform two schools in Kusumbi into environmentally conscious Green Campuses while introducing eco-friendly cooking solutions known as “nirdhur chul”.
Green Campus Transformation:
- Environmental Education: We are sensitizing school teachers about critical environmental issues to cultivate a culture of sustainability within the school community.
- Solar Energy: The installation of 3 KW solar panels is underway to harness clean energy, reducing the carbon footprint of these schools.
- Rainwater Harvesting: We are implementing a rainwater harvesting system to conserve precious water resources.
- Water Conservation: To minimize water wastage, we are replacing leaking taps with efficient push taps.Waste Management: On both campuses, we are introducing color-coded bins to facilitate waste segregation, along with the creation of a compost pit for the sustainable management of organic waste.
The introduction of eco-friendly Chuls is aimed at providing households with smoke-free stoves fueled by wood and charcoal, offering a safe, cost-effective, and sustainable alternative.
Climate Reality Project is helping in :
- Practical Training: Conducting hands-on training sessions to teach residents how to construct and use these eco-friendly Chuls effectively.
- Performance Testing: Conduct kitchen performance tests to highlight the differences between traditional stoves and the improved eco-friendly Chuls.
- Women’s Employment Model: Develop an employment model for women in the village, enabling them to offer installation services of the eco-friendly Chuls to village households for a reasonable fee. Kusumbi goal for Kusumbi is to have 100 households equipped with these eco-friendly Chuls, promoting cleaner and safer cooking practices while benefiting the environment and the local community.